Friday, April 15, 2016

Crowne Plaza Downtown Union Station, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.

Overview: Probably the coolest hotel I've stayed in so far. Not only is it a former train station, but you can stay in a railway car inside the hotel.

Location: 123 West Louisiana Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46225, U.S.A.

Crowne Plaza's Official Website

Standing in the back hallway is the same as standing
on a balcony.  It overlooks a set of actual railway
cars that have been outfitted as guest rooms.
Camera: Nikon D-5500.
The Upsides: Downtown Union Station is a beautiful hotel.  The rigid steel structure, complete with its protruding rivets, is both contrasted and complemented by sophisticated and comfortable decor.  Not surprisingly, much of the wall art features train stations and the like. Complimentary fruit-infused water is available in the lobby during daytime hours, and a side room to the left rear of the lobby houses a microwave, tea, coffee, and other goodies.

This hotel is situated in a pedestrian-friendly part of the city. We attended an event at the nearby Lucas Oil Stadium, visited the Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg Museum, and dined at several nearby eateries, all the while leaving the car in the parking garage.
View from the second floor.  This peaceful sitting area
holds the central elevators and adjoins the lobby.
Notice the solid white statue, upper center.  Statues of
everyday life from the railway days adorn many
areas of the hotel.
Camera: Nikon D-5500

The Downsides: You may be wondering if the commuter trains rumbling past on the tracks out back were a problem; they were not. I could hear them, but not loudly, and not once was I awakened by one.

I only had two complaints during my week long stay.  First, there was a parking fee ($24 a day at the time of my stay). I'm of the opinion that if I'm paying to sleep here, my car should stay for free.

View from my room of the Colt's Lucas Oil Stadium.
It was within walking distance of the hotel.
Camera: Nikon D-5500
My other complaint was the cost of food. Breakfast was not complimentary, and on our first day I ordered a bowl of fruit and yogurt, and it cost me almost $10! That while friends staying at a nearby establishment got alcoholic beverages from the hotel bar on the house. But this is a minor complaint, as most hotel food does come at a premium. Good thing there were so many eateries within walking distance!


Read the General Manager's Response to this review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment